Last updated on July 30, 2020
Dear Returning and Prospective orchestra members,
I hope everybody is as safe and healthy as possible during these difficult times.
Given the limitations to in-person instruction in the different Claremont Colleges’ campuses, I’m sorry to announce that the Claremont Concert Orchestra will not be able to convene as usual in Fall 2020.
Instead, an online class—MUS 175: Claremont Concert Orchestra-Pandemic— will be offered. This class will consist of an interactive study of symphonic literature and instrumental techniques with emphasis on Beethoven’s symphonies (to honor his 250th birthday anniversary!) and 20th- and 21st-century repertoire. As of now, here is what I have envisioned for the class:
- NO AUDITION WILL BE REQUIRED IN FALL 2020. Once the orchestra is allowed to meet in person again, auditions will be scheduled.
- There will hopefully be a practical component based on each student’s skill level, access to instrument, practice space, etc.
- The class (MUS 175) is open to all returning orchestra students and new students with prior musical experience.
- Students will be expected to participate in 1-2 synchronous Zoom meetings every week.
- The meetings will take place MW 6:00-7:15 PT.
- Upon registration, students who have not participated in the orchestra before should provide a brief summary of their musical background and orchestral experience (if applicable) when submitting the Perm Request. After I process the Perm Request, you will be able to return to the Academic Portal and officially register for the class.
This information may adjust due to changes in the Colleges’ schedule and instructional modes. Please keep checking this page for updates!
Best wishes and please take care,